When shopping a sale, it can be very tempting to spend more than you can afford. Here are some easy ways that have helped me so that I don’t end up with the dreaded ‘buyers remorse’ and the hassle of returning items that were out of my budget and bought on impulse:
- Make a list of items you ‘Need:’ Using a list can help you decide which items you need to buy right now and which can wait for another time. When you stick with a list, it will keep you from making emotional purchases and spending more than you can afford.
- Make a budget: Before you buy anything, make a budget so that you know how much money you have available to spend. Be sure to track all of the purchases you make to be sure you are on budget and not overspending.
- Don’t buy anything without comparison shopping: Be sure to check 2 or 3 websites and even do a Google search for the item you want to purchase. With so many sales going on, you can often find a item cheaper if you just take a little time to comparison shop.
- Always use coupons: It will only take a few seconds to do a Google search for coupons – and with so many stores offering coupons, it really pays to take the time. Also, be sure to sign up for your favorite store’s email list – I have found a number of them send coupons that you can use at the store or online.
- Don’t be in a hurry to purchase: There will always be a sale somewhere, so don’t feel pressured to buy everything right now.
The Outlet Mall is a great place to find bargains – if you are planning to shop the outlets, be sure to read my article How to Save Money at the Outlets for tips on finding Sales Info and Coupons to use at the outlet mall.
Find more Shopping Tips & Resources »